"What do I need to know about right now?"
We know that new members are usually overwhelmed with information, so we've tried to identify 6 important things for you to know. Feel free to check out other info on this website, contact any of your Local 52 representatives for more info, or go check out the AUPE website (https://www.aupe.org/).
1. Make sure you are on the AUPE Local 52 emailing list! Click on “Join on mailing list” https://mailman.ucalgary.ca/mailman/listinfo/aupe-l and follow the instructions. That way you will not miss out on information about our upcoming events, information sessions and bargaining updates.
2. Take a look at our Collective Agreement. In addition to your offer letter, this Agreement outlines so many important terms of your employment with the University. When are you entitled to code overtime on your timesheet? How is your vacation time calculated? What are our salary bands for each job family? You can find a copy of our current Collective Agreement here - consider bookmarking it for quick reference in the future!: https://www.aupe.org/sites/default/files/2020-02/2018-04-01%20to%202020-03-31%20Uni%20of%20Calgary.PDF
(Note - the current agreement expires in March of 2020, but it will remain in effect until a new agreement is finalized/ratified by a vote of you and our other members. Another good reason to ensure you are on our mailing list so you receive those critical updates)
3. Create an online account with AUPE on their website! This allows you to see all of your AUPE member info, and it's also the best way to ensure that AUPE (and therefore us, as your Local) has your contact information. Otherwise, all we have is your UCalgary email which isn't ideal!
(Note - if you have not received your AUPE Member Number yet, you may need to wait until you're provided with that to register for an account. You can still provide us with your information by visiting this "Member Information Update Form" in the meantime: https://www.aupe.org/member-resources/forms/member-information-update-form)
4. Consider coming to one of our Local 52 Council Meetings. Council meetings are held on the first Monday of every month from September - June, and the schedule, times, and locations are posted on this website (under the Council page). It's chaired by our Local Executive, and is a wonderful opportunity to network and meet other colleagues, plus have a voice on what happens on council and campus. Just let the Local Secretary know by their email firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to join us for one so we can order enough food!
(Note - In-person Council meetings have been suspended during the current COVID-19 crisis. Updates about upcoming meetings being hosted virtually or canceled will be posted on the homepage of this website!)
5. Take a look at the courses that you can take through AUPE! Topics include "Intro to Your Union" (which can be taken online, and which we recommend for all new members), "Contract Interpretation", and "Intro to Occupational Health and Safety". Through our Collective Agreement linked above, you have ten days off (with pay) to take AUPE courses, with the consent of your manager! Here's the current AUPE course schedule: https://www.aupe.org/training/courses
6. Download the AUPE App on your smartphone or tablet to stay connected and see all the places that AUPE members receive great discounts around the province! (You can also find these discount providers on the AUPE website here: https://www.aupe.org/member-resources/discounts)
Questions? Concerns? Reach out to us anytime! Thanks for reading and again, welcome to AUPE Local 52.
AUPE Local 52
Support Staff at the University of Calgary
Justin Huseby (Local Chair) Email: email@example.com
Lorinda Hammond (Chief Steward) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Local 52 Office Telephone: 403-220-8511 (Leave a message)
AUPE Local 52's office: Science A (SA) 117 - 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta T2N 1N4
(Note - The Chief Steward and Chair are in and out of the office right now. Please contact them via email or leave a message on the office phone and someone will be in touch with you as soon as possible. Should you require immediate assistance please contact AUPE Headquarters at 1-800-232-7284 and request to speak to the "MSO for Local 52.")